Ascending 1,685 metres over 27 miles of iconic and spectacular trails, this epic race will circumnavigate and eventually climb Wales' highest peak - Snowdon. The incredible route explores the trails, gorgeous panoramic views and tough climbs that make Snowdonia National Park such a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts.
10 Jul 2022
Probably the biggest trail marathon in the UK, the Snowdonia Trail Marathon is a challenge in every sense of the word. Ascending 1,685 metres over 27 miles of iconic and spectacular trails, this epic race will circumnavigate and eventually climb Wales' highest peak - Snowdon. The incredible route explores the trails, gorgeous panoramic views and tough climbs that make Snowdonia National Park such a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts. Visiting Rhyd Ddu, Beddgelert, Nant Gwynant, Pen y Pass and Snowdon (via the PyG Track to the Finger Stone) to then descend to the Finish Line via the Llanberis Path, there surely can't be a more striking trail marathon route in the UK!
Early Bird Price
You must be at least 18 years old to take part in this race.
If you opted for a postal entry there is no need to register in person before the event. Your Final Instructions will be printed on the back of your bib, and they will also be available on the website 10 days prior to the race.
If your bib is not being posted you will need to collect it from registration. Registration will take place on Saturday afternoon and before the race on Sunday morning. We will confirm specific times in your Final Instructions, which will be available on the website and via email 10 days prior to the race.
Registration is usually located on the event field in Llanberis situated next to the Community Centre - LL55 4UR
The Marathon usually starts at 09:00 though this is subject to change. The race start time will be confirmed in your Final Instructions which are available to view on the website 10 days prior to the race.
Cut Off Times
There will be staged cut-offs across the race to ensure the safety and wellbeing of volunteers and competitors.
- Runners must get from the start to the Rhyd Ddu feed station at mile 6.1 within 2 hours of the race start. This allows an average speed of 3mph.
- Runners must get from the Rhyd Ddu feed station to the Beddgelert feed station at mile 11.4 within 3 hours and 30 minutes of the race start. This allows an average speed of 3.5mph.
- Runners must get from Beddgelert to Pen y Pass at mile 19.5 within 6 hours of the race start. This allows for an average speed of 3.2mph.
- The Finish Line will close 10 hours after the start of the race. Runners must get from Pen y Pass to the Finish Line within this time frame, which allows for an average speed of 2mph.
Runners arriving after these times will be offered the choice of returning by foot to the event village or waiting for an event shuttle vehicle. Public buses to Llanberis are also available from Pen y Pass for £2* should you wish to use them.
*subject to change
We hold a prize giving ceremony after the racing, approximate timings will be detailed in the Final Instructions however it is a good idea to listen out for any updates that come in over the tannoy. Sometimes the ceremony may be delayed and we wouldn't want you to miss out. We don't send out prizes after the event, so make sure you attend the ceremony and receive your big Welsh cheer!
Prize Categories for the Snowdonia Trail Marathon are (for both men and women)
Open: Top 5*
V40: Top 3
V50: Top 2
V60: 1st runner
V70: 1st runner
All prizes must be collected on the day.
* If any runner places in Open and Vet then a drop down system will occur.
All competitors must carry the compulsory kit listed below. This kit is for your safety due to the often unpredictable and quickly changing mountain conditions and isolated nature of the route.
Spot checks will be in place and anybody found without the required kit will not be allowed to race.
- Waterproof jacket and trousers - with taped seams and integrated, attached hood.
- Suitable off road running shoes - fell/trail shoes
- Hat and Gloves (head and hand cover)
- Emergency food
- Foil blanket
- Mobile telephone
- Drinking water
ADDITIONAL PERMITTED / ADVISORY KIT:
- GPS device (watch with route downloaded)
- Extra long sleeved warm layer
- Compass & map (If you know how to use them)
- Poles (we permit people to use poles)
- Suntan lotion
We are proud that all our events are bilingual. Signs, registration and commentary are available in English and Welsh.