25K of Skyline Racing in Ogwen
Starting and finishing at Plas y Brenin the route begins with a few fast and flat miles along the Eryri Slate Trail.
This acts as an approach to the technical running, which begins with a lung busting ascent of Pen yr Ole Wen (978m). This ascent has approximately 700m of elevation gain over 2 miles, and includes a short section of easy scrambling. This section is not technically demanding but a decent level of running fitness will be required. Do not underestimate the Pen yr Ole Wen climb or the majesty of the views across to Tryfan (subject to weather!!)
The next 3 miles of the route are a series of glorious ascents and descents across the skyline of Carneddau Fach (960m), Dafydd (1044m) and Llewelyn (1064m). The tracks are all quite runnable until you descend off the South-East of Llewelyn This requires some careful scrambling down. It’s a short section and is again, technically pretty straight forward. This leads to the final ascent, the wonderful Pen yr Helgi Ddu. The final push to the top involves more easy scrambling and you are rewarded with views of the Glyderau, including Tryfan, and Cwm Llugwy.
The descent is made for downhillers. It is a fast, flowing and mainly on grass tracks. A few more miles on the Slate Trail and you’ll be back at Plas y Brenin with a huge smile on your face. You’ll know you’ve had a tough but rewarding day in the good stuff.
- Spectacular scenery - views across Anglesey and Eryri
- Professional timing - chip timing, online results & sms text result
- Fully signed and marshalled route
- Mountain Leader support
- Access to event village - music, commentary, food vendors and shopping
- Locally sourced slate finisher coaster
- Finish line food
- Event memento worth £12.50
- Drink stations (Water, High5 & High5 gels)
- Secure bag drop
You must be at least 18 years old to take part in this race.
Your bib (race number) will need to be collected from registration on the morning of the race, where there will also be a kit check to ensure you have the required Mandatory Kit. Registration can be found within the Plas y Brenin building. You will be able to find the event Final Instructions on the website 10 days prior to the race.
*There will be an information desk in this location for any inquiries.
All competitors in the 25k race must carry the compulsory kit listed below. This kit is for your safety due to the often unpredictable and quickly changing mountain conditions in Wales and isolated nature of the route.
Kit checks will take place at registration and anybody found without the required kit will not be allowed to race.
- Waterproof jacket - with taped seams and integrated, attached hood
- Waterproof trousers - with taped seams
- Suitable off-road running shoes - fell/trail shoes
- Hat/buff and gloves (head and hand cover)
- Spare dry long-sleeve layer
- Sufficient nutrition for the race plus an emergency 500 calories
- Foil blanket/emergency shelter
- Fully charged mobile telephone in a waterproof case (or waterproof phone)
- Drinking water (ability to carry 1l, minimum 500ml filled at start)
- A GPS device with the route downloaded (This can be a watch, phone or similar), or map & compass with route marked.
ADDITIONAL PERMITTED / ADVISORY KIT:
- Running/hiking poles (we permit people to use poles)
- Suntan lotion, depending on conditions
- Basic first aid kit
The 25k usually starts at 08:30 though this is subject to change. The race start time will be confirmed in your Final Instructions which are available to view on the website 10 days prior to the race.
Cut Off Times
In the interest of athlete safety and the safety of our volunteers on the course there will be strict cut off times in place. A confirmation of specific cut off times will be detailed in your Final Instructions which will be available on the website 10 days prior to the race.
We hold a prize-giving ceremony after the race, approximate timings will be detailed in the Final Instructions however it is a good idea to listen out for any updates that come in over the tannoy. Sometimes the ceremony may be delayed and we wouldn't want you to miss out. We don't send out prizes after the event, so make sure you attend the ceremony and receive your big Welsh cheer!
Prize Categories for the Ogwen25 | Yr Helgi Du are (for both open & female categories)
Overall: Top 3*
V40: 1st runner
V45: 1st runner
V50: 1st runner
V55: 1st runner
V60: 1st runner
V65: 1st runner
V70: 1st runner
V75: 1st runner
V80: 1st runner
All prizes must be collected on the day.
* If any runner places in Overall and Vet then a drop-down system will occur.
We are proud that all our events are bilingual. Signs, registration and commentary are available in English and Welsh.