Info for Locals
Always Aim High Events is an independent Welsh company created to showcase the beautiful surroundings of our home country to athletes from across the globe. We work closely with the communities that live in the places our events are hosted to minimise any disruption and maximise opportunities for local businesses to benefit.
We work with local authorities and safety advisory groups and have all of our events permitted by the relevant National Governing Bodies; this ensures that they meet the highest standards of safety and are professionally run with minimum impact on the local area.
As members of the Snowdonia Society, we actively volunteer to maintain environmental standards as well as being part of and supporting local community groups and charities through donations, made possible by our event entry fees. We respect our culture and language, all of our event signage and website are available in Welsh. Our products and services are all locally sourced.
The information below provides specific information for local people on how this event will run.
Timings for the Slateman weekend
It usually takes two days to set up the event. Athletes will start arriving at approximately 07:00 on Sunday, and staff arrive on site approximately 2 hours before them. During unsociable hours all noise will be kept to an absolute minimum.
On Sunday there will be:
- Sprint Triathlon & Duathlon
- Standard Triathlon and Duathlon
- Legend Triathlon
The event village is likely to close at approximately 19:00 on Sunday.
Event-specific timings will be detailed in the Final Instructions available on the website 10 days prior to the race.
Traffic Management & Road closures
In order to minimise disruption and to ensure competitors and spectators the best and safest experience, we will be requesting permission for one temporary road closure and implementing intermittent traffic management as detailed below:
- close the Llanberis Pass between the Nant Peris car park and the junction with the A4086/A498 at the Pen y Gwryd Hotel. The A498 will not be affected.
- implement a Stop/Go on the A4086 opposite Y Ganolfan, Llanberis.
Once the last cyclist has reached the top of Pen y Pass from Pen y Gwryd and are on their way back to Llanberis, the road will be re-opened. It is expected that this will take place at approximately 12:00.
We will be conducting a letter drop to all affected residents six weeks prior to the event date. A copy of that letter will then also be available here.
We know that car parking for our athletes can put pressure on the limited spaces available for local homes and businesses, and we make this clear to our athletes. As well as detailed signage at the event, we communicate the importance of considerate parking in our Final Instructions, which is sent out ahead of the event. This includes:
- promoting car-sharing for athletes.
- details on how to travel to Llanberis by public transport.
- signposting to the nearby park-and-ride.
- detailed information on any pre-agreed designated event parking areas.
- information on responsible overnight parking.
Spectators are welcome at our events, to cheer on everyone taking part! We pride ourselves on an exciting and positive atmosphere at all of our events, and we would love you to come along to add to the warm Welsh welcome that our local communities offer.
Maps of the athlete routes can be found by clicking on the race distances on the main event page, but we recommend these spots for spectating:
- The final straight just outside the event village is a great spot to cheer people on.
- For the Sprint run route, the Quarry hospital is an iconic place to watch the action and cheer people on.
- For the Standard races, the Splitting Sheds at the top of the Quarry give you an awesome view and chance to cheer on the runners.
- There are various lay-bys on the cycle routes, however, we would ask that if you choose to spectate on the cycle route, drive carefully and be considerate of other road users including the athletes, and park safely off the road.
You are welcome to enter the Event Village enjoy the atmosphere and visit our trade stands. There is no charge to enter.
We are always on the lookout for people to join our awesome team of Marshals and Volunteers and it is a great way to raise funds for your local community group or charity. If you are a local business and have offers over the event weekend please contact us so we can include you in our communications with our athletes. There are also opportunities for stands in our Event Village.
Signage and Litter
Always Aim High Events have always had a zero-tolerance to litter policy; any athlete found to have intentionally littered will be disqualified and could face a lifetime ban from our events. All our signage is removed immediately after the event and we conduct a full litter pick as stated in our environmental policy. We will respond to any reports of left signage or litter immediately so in the unlikely event of this happening please contact us.